Sunday, October 16, 2011

Chapters 7-9

I read chapters seven through nine of Dr. Lynell Burmark’s book They Snooze, You Lose this week. My assignment was to take information from these chapters and adjust my Copyright powerpoint to improve it. I found this task especially difficult.

Chapter 7 emphasized the importance of having images in your presentations. I agree that images are more captivating than words, but how do you add them to a somewhat stiff topic like copyright? In the previous week I added some graphics, so I chose to leave the images as they were.

Chapter 8 focused on the power of music. I’m not sure how I feel about music being played during a professional presentation. According to Burmark, music can create and or amplify emotion (Burmark, 144). With that statement in mind, I chose to amplify the sense of calm with some soothing, but unobtrusive music. The music I chose was royalty free and provided by Incompetech.

Chapter 9’s topic was on incorporating emotion into your presentation. When I think about copyright laws and issues I only can think of anxiety. As you may recall, I chose the green background color over blue in an effort to calm the viewer. Burmark used a powerful example of Lewis Hine’s photography of children working during the Industrial Revolution. This example resonated with me loud and clear. It took me straight to seventh grade when I first encountered this images in a social studies class. That encounter was made even more powerful by our field trip to Lowell Massachusetts to the very factories that these children worked at. Pictures are powerful! However, how do you add that emotion to a professional presentation? So, I chose to add another slide to my presentation that asks viewers to tap into the emotions of anxiety and then throw them away. I also used a Wordle to demonstrate some of the emotional words associated with copyright laws. Perhaps by acknowledging the anxiety I can then increase the comfort of their new found knowledge?

No comments:

Post a Comment